In-person meetups and social outings are suspended indefinitely due to necessary efforts to address our current public health risks. Guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and state/local authorities will be continually reviewed and discussed so that we can resume normal meetups as soon as it is safe to do so.
#misec is a group composed of both aspiring and seasoned information security professionals and related information technology, application development, and other relevant professionals. In #misec, we sometimes find ourselves at a crossroads of carrying out a hacker ethos of “Let’s just do it” and a risk management credence of “if mitigating a risk is less expensive than the total cost of the asset, then you should mitigate the risk.”
In this case, the public health risk of meeting in person is too great to justify continued meetings under the present circumstances. And while we take issues like public health and safety seriously as a community, we also want to continue to have the conversations, interactions, and opportunities we enjoy through the relationships and community we have built together here in #misec. So while our Social events are cancelled completely for the time being, we do want to stay connected socially with our community.
Since we live-stream most of our talks already, we will continue to do so during this time. Our respective chapter directors and coordinators will work with previously arranged speakers or future speakers to stream their content at our normally scheduled meetup times. #misec is also considering hosting some additional virtual events to pass the time and have some fun while we navigate the waters we find ourselves in presently.
- For up-to-date information please monitor the hashtag #misec on Twitter or LinkedIn, or follow our Twitter account at: https://twitter.com/misec
- If you are not on our Slack, please invite yourself here: http://misec.herokuapp.com/
- As always, all of our live streams and previously recorded videos can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MiSecGroup/
- If you’d like to game with us in the meantime, join us Tuesday nights on Discord (check slack/twitter for current invite).
Thank you for your understanding and support. Please continue to take care of yourself, your loved ones, and others around you. Our strength comes from you, and we need you to help us make #misec all it can be!
- RT @MoonyThinker: Hey #misec #michigan #infosec #BePrepared friends! This event starts in 15 minutes! See it live streamed here! https:/…yesterday
- RT @bmart517: Please join #misec #lansing tonight for a preso on "When Hackers Die" by @zensomancer. Have you asked yourself: "What will ha…yesterday
- RT @gondrith: Going live with some MiSec Jackson. Tonight we are joined by @NoBeardEcho6 with a talk on threats in Social Media! Informatio…8 days ago
- RT @OWASPOaklandCt: Quarterly meeting tonight 7pm EDT https://t.co/7opeG4dvI214 days ago
- Heads up: https://t.co/ojCQP1EQ6g24 days ago