In-person meetups and social outings are suspended indefinitely due to necessary efforts to address our current public health risks. Guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and state/local authorities will be continually reviewed and discussed so that we can resume normal meetups as soon as it is safe to do so.
#misec is a group composed of both aspiring and seasoned information security professionals and related information technology, application development, and other relevant professionals. In #misec, we sometimes find ourselves at a crossroads of carrying out a hacker ethos of “Let’s just do it” and a risk management credence of “if mitigating a risk is less expensive than the total cost of the asset, then you should mitigate the risk.”
In this case, the public health risk of meeting in person is too great to justify continued meetings under the present circumstances. And while we take issues like public health and safety seriously as a community, we also want to continue to have the conversations, interactions, and opportunities we enjoy through the relationships and community we have built together here in #misec. So while our Social events are cancelled completely for the time being, we do want to stay connected socially with our community.
Since we live-stream most of our talks already, we will continue to do so during this time. Our respective chapter directors and coordinators will work with previously arranged speakers or future speakers to stream their content at our normally scheduled meetup times. #misec is also considering hosting some additional virtual events to pass the time and have some fun while we navigate the waters we find ourselves in presently.
- For up-to-date information please monitor the hashtag #misec on Twitter or LinkedIn, or follow our Twitter account at: https://twitter.com/misec
- If you are not on our Slack, please invite yourself here: http://misec.herokuapp.com/
- As always, all of our live streams and previously recorded videos can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MiSecGroup/
- If you’d like to game with us in the meantime, join us Tuesday nights on Discord (check slack/twitter for current invite).
Thank you for your understanding and support. Please continue to take care of yourself, your loved ones, and others around you. Our strength comes from you, and we need you to help us make #misec all it can be!
- RT @chaoticflaws: Mark your calendars! 9/12 from Noon to 6pm we will be hosting the #misec BBQ at Kensington Metro Park! https://t.co/dvKHN…8 days ago
- RT @InfoSecAli: Join us tonight @ 7 PM for a discussion with Joe Stocker (@ITguySoCal) around Microsoft 365 Security Best Practices!!! #m…18 days ago
- RT @InfoSecAli: Hope everyone enjoys the 4th! Reminder to join #misec Southfield on July 8th @ 7pm for a discussion with Joe Stocker (@ITg…23 days ago
- RT @ITguySoCal: I'm looking forward to presenting to #MiSec in July. We're going to be covering the top cybersecurity defenses for Microsof…30 days ago
- RT @gondrith: August 10th, join us in #misec for a presentation on threats in Social Media! Information warfare, disinformation, and their…31 days ago